This site has been in continuous use as a place of worship since 1707, first by the Quakers and since 1832 by the Methodists. The original wooden church building was moved to the location of the old parsonage, next door, where it remained in use until it burned down in 1876. The cornerstone of the new brick church as laid in 1870 where the present church stands. In 1951, the building served as an emergency center when a Pennsylvania Railroad train derailed one block east, killing 86 people. Sadly in 1954 the brick church was destroyed by a fire. The large stained glass window at the back of the sanctuary survived and is one of the few parts of the original church that remains. Two years later, almost to the day, the first services were held in the present structure.
Our mission is making disciples of Christ for the transformation of the world. We seek to love God above all things and our neighbors as ourselves. We are committed to growing in faith, embracing the seekers journey, and fortifying Christ in the lives of others.
“Living Faith, Seeking Justice and Pursuing Peace”
We continue to serve the community in the Wesley tradition:
1. Shun evil and avoid partaking in wicked deeds at all costs
2. Perform kind acts as much as possible
3. Abide by the edicts of God the Almighty Father
WE ARE BAPTIZED
WE BELIEVE IN GOD
WE CONFESS OUR SIN
WE BELIEVE IN JESUS THE CHRIST
WE ARE SAVED
WE RELY ON THE BIBLE
WE ARE NOURISHED IN HOLY COMMUNION
WE FOLLOW THE HOLY SPIRIT
WE LIVE AS DISCIPLES
WE EXPECT GOD’S REIGN
WE ARE THE CHURCH
Ask any questions. We love to hear your feedback!
© 2019-20. All rights reserved
Woodbridge United Methodist Church